Features

  • Misconscriptured: Great Bible verses taken out of context
  • Old-school smackdown: Way, way old-school
  • Had to be there: Stories that get skipped in Sunday School
  • Need to know: Biblically speaking, of course

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Overheard at the MTC

Misconscriptured

This never actually happened to me, but as I served as a missionary, I heard countless stories of a single source of dread at the Provo, Utah, Missionary Training Center.

It wasn't the homesickness. It wasn't receiving the "Dear John" from a girlfriend. It wasn't the food. Well, it was the food — just hours later.

It was the post-dining experiences that seemed to create a common bond among missionaries, sometimes discussed at length and for years afterward.

I think the prophet Jeremiah sums it up best.

Jeremiah 4:19
"My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet..."


Thanks to Keith for reminding me how much this verse really sings.